Sunday, March 1, 2020

Boa Scarves

Many of the things in my shop were inspired by seeing a pattern I wanted to try, but not these. The inspiration for these scarves came from a clearance aisle at Walmart. I saw a stack of skeins of Red Heart Swerve yarn and was intrigued by its softness and embedded loops. I bought every skein they had: two blue and green, two purple and pink, and one purple. I didn't know what I would do with them, but I thought I would figure it out at some point.

A few years later, I was going through my stash when I found the skeins. I wondered again what to do with them, and I figured checking the pattern on the back of the paper was a good place to start. When I saw that all it called for was hand crocheting a chain until I ran out of yarn, I immediately did that with all five skeins. I decided to keep the purple one for myself and sell the other four. I then looked around online to see where I could buy more skeins. It was then I discovered that it had been discontinued, which is probably why I was able to get it so cheap. I could still buy neon yellow skeins from Red Heart, but I wasn't nearly as excited by that color as I was by the others, so I decided not to.



I looked around for similar yarns, but all the ones I found were significantly more expensive, and none of them seemed like it would make a scarf nearly as beautiful as what I had already made. I figured the only way to make more would be developing my own pattern using regular worsted weight yarn, but I never got around to making one.

Then, three weeks ago, Mom and I were talking about the production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat we are currently doing, and how the costumers were looking for a boa for Potifar's wife. I asked her if she had told them about the boas I had made, and she said no, so I texted one of the costume ladies and asked her if she would be interested. She said to bring them to the next rehearsal and ask the actress which one she would like. After talking to her, I happened to think that a ribbon yarn might work well for making a boa, and I had a few balls of rainbow ribbon yarn that I thought would be fun to try. When I went to get them, however, I couldn't find them, but I did find some teal fuzzy ribbon yarn that I thought would work even better. After some trial and error, I finally settled on a method that worked, and within a couple of hours, I had another option to bring with me to rehearsal.



At the next rehearsal, I met with the actress and started by pulling out the pink and purple scarf. She immediately decided on that one, which matches the wig she brought to wear for the production. Since its twin sold back in December, I deactivated the listing later that night, and it will stay that way until after the production is over.




Blue Boa Scarf: https://www.etsy.com/listing/538544979/blue-boa-scarf

Ribbon Boa Scarf: https://www.etsy.com/listing/783085679/ribbon-boa-scarf-bright-crocheted-boa

Pink Boa Scarf: https://www.etsy.com/listing/524738600/pink-boa-scarf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarantine Crafting

Like most of you, I have been stuck at home quite a bit over these last few months. Being the crafty person that I am, I spent a lot of that...